Sunday, April 7, 2013

Assume.

She was telling me about how her parents argued and fought all the time, but it was okay and that they were carrying on. It's no big deal, she said. As the tension built up inside she just brushed it off like a fly on her shoulder.
The problem with this is not completely the fact that her family life isn't the best, but the fact that I just assumed everything was fine.  It never crossed my mind that she was facing something like this, I was oblivious.  I HATE being oblivious.
I assumed.

I don't know of many worse things to do in life then assume.  I always assume the best in everything, doesn't everybody?  I like to be optimistic.  But I now realize that when I'm assuming, I'm not considering the option that not everyone's lives are perfect, even though we'd like them to be.

It came as a shock to me.
I just assumed.

People say never assume, because to assume is to make an ASS out of U and ME.

I used to think and assume that everyone had a perfect testimony in church, and none of them ever made mistakes.  I thought that when I made a mistake, I was alone.  I assumed everyone had it good but me, and that I was experiencing trials no one else had to go through.  It wasn't until I was 17 when I noticed some other kids meeting with the Bishop often.  My friends discussed the happiness they received from meeting with their Bishop.
I've had to meet with my Bishop.
I used to assume I was the only one, that I was the one kid who is figuring things out for the best, and trying to discover myself.  I assumed I was the only one lost.
But I'm not alone, and it is comforting.

One time I assumed that my teacher would never catch me cheating. So I cheated on a spelling test. Shhh don't tell.
I didn't get caught by my teacher, but I did get caught by my guilt.  Nothing is more embarrassing then telling your teacher you cheated.  Trust me.

I used to assume.

Don't assume.  Make sure you're on the same page with others, you really don't want to make an ass out of yourself. Trust me.

-J.Stamos.
* If anyone asks.. ASS means donkey. Duh.

No comments:

Post a Comment