Monday, March 25, 2013

Smoke Crack?


All growing up my parents constantly warned me of the many dangers in life.
Being a normal child, I never really paid attention to what they said.
When my parents said, "Stop teasing your sibling."  What do you think I did? Slapped my brother across the face with a sock full of lead.
Okay, maybe no lead.
But in reality, doing the opposite of what they say is an unwritten rule during a child's glory days.

I honestly believe you can't go through life without experiencing trials and situations personally.
My dad always told me never to swear, it becomes a bad habit.
It wasn't until I was 16 and made a mistake in the game, my parents right there next to me on the sidelines, "dang."
Obviously it wasn't dang.
I never had felt so stupid, embarrassed, and rebellious simultaneously. I knew at that moment, my dad was right all along.
But if I had never sworn in front of my parents, and if I had never felt that humiliation; I never would've learned for myself.
I don't have to experience EVERYTHING for myself though, I think I'll stick with my parents advice on drugs and alcohol. Only smoke crack, nothing else.

BRAVERY RUNS IN MY FAMILY.*
To be honest I always thought my dad was a pansy, until I saw him dive off a 25 ft. cliff head first into the lake. I could barely gathered up the guts just to jump.
That's when I knew I wanted to inherit the courage that runs through my dad's veins. If a 50 year-old man lives a life with no fear, I want to too.
Two days later, 5 teenagers, 1 cliff. 45 feet to be exact. With my man-card on the line.. let's just say I'll remember to point my toes next time... good thing I'm not "Big-Foot".

I've learned a lot from my parents, and I've learned a lot from myself.
I've learned from my dad, that playing spin-the-bottle at age 15 is never a good idea, especially when you don't know how to kiss. ALSO I've learned from my dad that if you and all your roommates are suspicious of another roommate being gay, don't let the gay massage your hamstring. Just don't.

I've learned personally that if you let your cat sit on your lap, and then you're mean to her, she might try to make sure you don't have children. Umm... claws.

We are meant to experience a lot throughout our lives and smoking crack is definitely not one of them.
Don't do drugs.
-J.Stamos.
* Line taken from the poem "Coward" by A.R. Ammons
**Also I never have actually smoked crack.

2 comments:

  1. All drugs are bad, but crack is wack.

    Also, you said this on my blog:

    The more I comment on posts, the more I turn into my dad.

    Did you mean this as a good thing or a bad thing? I took it bad, maybe I'm just negative. Like our dads are fake and they don't say what they really mean or our dads show love in really superficial ways. I don't know.

    Maybe you were just being complimentary of your dad.

    ReplyDelete